Vegan Spag Bol
- 50 g walnuts crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 punnet of mushrooms 250g
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp umami seasoning preferably Yondu vegetable umami or miso paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans of green lentils
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- A small packet of cherry tomatoes 250g
- Spaghetti – use your own discretion based on how many meals you’d like to make but aim for about 70g per serving
- Basil leaves
- Crushed red peppercorns
- Vegan cheese e.g. prosociano
- Rinse and drain the lentils.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrot then cook for around 3 minutes.
- Slice then add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the carrots are soft.
- Add chopped rosemary and crushed walnuts, then stir together.
- Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, and the umami seasoning and give it another stir.
- Now add the tomatoes, lentils, tomato paste, and fresh cherry tomatoes, then stir again.
- Simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes, until it thickens.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain and add the pasta to the pan with the sauce.
- Serve with fresh basil to provide an added meaty taste, and crushed red peppercorns for added oomph, and if you have vegan parmesan grate some on top to complete your meal.
Follow us on Twitter for more interviews, reviews, competitions, and news.
Read the May 2021 issue of SNACK magazine on your tablet, mobile, or pc.